PLANT-BASED CAULIFLOWER BUFFALO WINGS
WHAT ARE CAULIFLOWER WINGS?
For those of you who have never heard of cauliflower wings: No, cauliflower didn’t grow wings overnight! Haha! Cauliflower wings are kind of like chicken wings but they’re made out of cauliflower florets instead.
The recipe is divided into three simple steps:
1. Dip the cauliflower wings into a batter made out of flour and spices and roll them in panko bread crumbs (I used gluten-free!). Then bake or air fry them.
2. Coat the baked cauliflower wings with your favorite sauce like BBQ sauce or hot sauce and bake them again until they’re crispy. Serve with a delicious dipping sauce like vegan ranch dip. Enjoy!!
3. Cauliflower wings make an amazing appetizer or snack. Or even a great side with a nice green salad!
Cauliflower wings are:
Plant-based and baked- and not fried! The perfect comfort food! Very easy to make gluten-free and super easy to make!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THESE CAULIFLOWER BUFFALO WINGS WITH VEGAN RANCH DIP:
You will find all of the ingredients for the vegan cauliflower wings in any regular grocery store. Except for the cauliflower you don’t need any fresh ingredients.
1 head of cauliflower
1/4c regular all-purpose flour or chickpea flour
1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (almond or soy)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika powder
1 cup panko breadcrumbs (find gluten-free version if desired)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings sauce
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 tbsp dried dill and 1 tbsp parsley
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER BUFFALO WINGS
1. Carefully cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
2. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, the plant-based milk, the water, the garlic powder, the paprika powder, the salt, and the black pepper. Stir until well combined.
3. Dip the florets into the batter, so they’re completely coated.
4. Roll them in the panko breadcrumbs. Omit this step for a gluten-free version or use gluten free crumbs. However, they’re way crispier with the panko breadcrumb coating.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the cauliflower florets on the baking sheet. Don’t put them on top of each other. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 °F. AIRFRY at 380 for 10 minutes.
6. Combine Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings sauce with a tablespoon of olive oil and pour it over the baked cauliflower wings. Evenly coat them from all sides by stirring them a few times.
7. Put the coated buffalo wings back on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake again for 20 minutes at 350 °F. AIRFRY again at 380 for 8 minutes.
8. For the vegan ranch dip, combine the vegan mayonnaise with dried dill and parsley and stir until well combined. Serve the freshly baked vegan cauliflower wings with the vegan ranch and enjoy! Also, sprinkle some chopped green onions and freshly chopped parsley on top if you want.
BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER BITES – RECIPE TIPS
It’s very important to use unsweetened plant-based milk. The recipe doesn’t work with sweetened milk even if it’s only lightly sweetened. You can still taste it! Add panko breadcrumbs to make the buffalo cauliflower bites extra crispy. They really do the trick! The cauliflower wings don’t get as crispy with regular breadcrumbs. Pay attention not to put the cauliflower wings on top of each other on the baking sheet. If you’re doubling the recipe, use two baking sheets. Each oven is a bit different so make sure to check the wings frequently towards the end of the baking time and adjust the time if needed. It’s okay if they have some brown patches, but you don’t want them to get burned! If you don’t like spicy food, this recipe is not for you! But you might want to try your favorite BBQ sauce instead. They’re a lot less spicy!
Getufit Public Speaking Event!
Mindset for Optimal Weight Loss & Health
Tuesday, February 25!
Register Online. Space is limited!
My one-hour-long presentation will revive and motivate you to change your mindset and optimize your health by implementing healthy behaviors that will help you lose weight, gain energy and live your best life!