For the gravy:
• 3 red onions
• 6 cups of beef stock
• 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
For the cottage pie:
• 1 pound extra lean ground beef
• 1 large onion
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 2 carrots, finely chopped
• 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
• 1 zucchini (courgette), chopped
• 1 tablespoon of mixed herbs, salt and black pepper
• 1 1/2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 2 eggs
• spray oil
• Enough chicken stock to cover
1. Spray a small saucepan with spray oil, add the onion and fry for 5 mins to
soften and caramelize.
2. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir till it has reduced down.
3. Add the stock and tomato paste, bring to a boil and then simmer for 20
4. Add to a blender and blend till smooth, set aside.
5. Add the ground beef, onion, garlic, celery, garlic and carrots to a deep
frying pan and fry till browned. Add the zucchini and cook for a further 1-2
6. Add the mixed herbs and pour in the gravy, season with some salt and
black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 mins.
7. While meat is simmering. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Add the potatoes to
a deep saucepan, and just cover with chicken stock, bring a to a boil and
simmer until soft.
8. Drain, reserving the stock and mash the potatoes till nice and smooth,
season to taste with salt and black pepper. Then add the eggs and a little
of the stock till the potato is creamy (you want it to still be slightly thick.
9. Spoon the meat mixture into large cupcake tins and spoon the potatoes
onto the top. Roughly smoothing with a fork.
10. Spray top with some spray oil and bake in the oven for approximately 35
mins till the topping is golden. Serve with your choice of sides. Serves 6.